A. International Recognition as Academic Leader
B. Invited Lectures
C. Services as Resource Person
A. International Recognition as Academic Leader:
- Vice Chancellor Tenure (July 2010 – July 2014) Global Recognition, reflected as the emergence of top ranked national university, I was heading. Established fiscally viable governance system, initiated reward system for the achiever students and faculty, enhanced community involvement and received unprecedented support from the community. Enhanced educational opportunities in the universities I was heading and highlighted regional needs for education. This led to emergence of five new universities in the region and I had the honor to serve as founding vice chancellor for the two, the Government Sadiq College Women University Bahawalpur, and the Ghazi University Dera Ghazi, Khan. Pakistan is a highly diverse land geographically and to enhance cohesion started various program integrating young generation all across the nation. At several occasion was honored to represent Pakistan at various education fora.
- Asian Education Leadership Award 2012, Award for outstanding contribution to education in Pakistan, Dubai
- Member, Global Presidential Conclave on the Future of Higher Education, Co-hosted: West Chester University of Pennsylvania, USA; Universidad Nacional at Heredia, Costa Rica. This three-day Presidential Conclave brought together approximately 40 prominent university presidents and rectors, leaders of major national
and international organizations, and world leaders committed to higher education. These Presidential Conclave members developed a global proclamations on the future of higher education. The Conclave members addressed critical worldwide issues in higher education and proposed and agenda for higher-education opportunity, access, and excellence. Major topics on which the conclave members contemplated include:
- Impact of technology in higher education
- Promoting global peace through education
- Higher education’s role in economic development and combating poverty
- Promoting ethical behavior and ethical decision making: The role of higher education
- International cooperation across institutions of higher education
- Responsibility of higher education in advancing health care globally
- Participated as a Country Representative from Pakistan, in The International Forum for Education 2020, Higher Education Regionalization in Asia Pacific: Implications for Governance, Citizenship and University Transformation, Delivered a lecture on Governance in public sector universities in Pakistan and participated in dialogues on improving collaboration among Asian universities.
- Outstanding Scientist Visa award (O-1 visa), (May 1995 – March 2008) , For scientific research focusing on understanding the mechanisms of HIV-1 neuropathogenesis and to find appropriate therapeutics modalities.
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty Award, (May 2005), For excellence in teaching and training of students in Biotechnology.
- The UNESCO-ASM Travel Award, (May 26 – June 3, 1997) For attending the Molecular Neurogenetics meeting organized by the Institute for Molecular & Cell Biology, University of Porto, Portugal.
- The First President’s Award, (1992), Sigma XI Science and Technology Research competition at the Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
B. Invited Lectures:
- Biosecurity through public science literacy programs. IAP International Workshop on Policy Makers and Practitioners: Awareness Workshop on Dual Use of Education. Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad, Sponsored and Collaborated by: Pakistan Academy of Sciences and IAP (Global Network of Science Academies), (30 March 2015)
- Facing and chasing viruses – Ebola and others. Faculty Research Colloquium. http://research.aurak.ac.ae/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Faculty-Research-Colloquium-Presented-by-Prof.-Muhammad-Mukhtar.pdf (16 March 2015)
- Technopreneurship in generic and biosimilar pharmaceuticals. International Conference on “Bio-Physicochemical Basis for Technopreneurship” organized by the University of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan, (2 – 3 April 2013)
- Governance in the public sector universities of Pakistan. The International Forum for Education 2020 “Senior Seminar on Higher Education Regionalization in Asia Pacific: Implications for Governance, Citizenship, and University Transformation, Hong Kong, (4 – 6 May 2011)
- Opportunities for biotechnology research in the Muslim World. Department of Plant Protection, King Saud University, Riyadh, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, (04 April 2010)
- Avian flu implication in human and veterinary virology. PMAS Arid Agriculture University Seminar Series, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, (21 May 2009)
- Biotechnology, biosimilars and new use of old inventions in human healthcare. 2nd National Conference on Health Biotechnology (May 27 -28), Pakistan Academy of Sciences, Islamabad, Pakistan, (27 May 2008)
- Anti-fungal and Anti-viral drug discovery utilizing traditional therapies. Qarshi Research International (Pvt) Ltd Hattar, Pakistan, (25 May 2007)
- Statins potently block enhanced transmigration of HIV-1-infected cells: A novel therapeutic approach for HIV-1 neuroinvasion. Annual Neuroscience Retreat of the Farber Institute for Neuroscience, Thomas Jefferson Univ. Philadelphia, PA, USA, (01 April 2005)
- Unraveling the passage of HIV-1 through an in vitro blood-brain barrier model. Biomed Seminar School of Biomedical Engineering, Science & Health Systems Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, USA, (9 April 2004)
- Transmigration of immune cells through the in vitro blood-brain barrier model. New Frontiers in Translational Research and the Blood Brain Barrier, Tenth Annual Neuro-oncology and Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption Consortium Mtg, Oregon, USA, (17 – 20 March 2004)
- Mechanisms of HIV-1 entry into the brain- Are we still at the tip of the iceberg? The Celebration of >100 Years of Progress in Brain Vascular Research at Cerebral Vascular Biology 2003 Meeting, Amarillo, TX, USA, (16 June 2003)
- Utilization of an in vitro blood-brain barrier model to study molecular neuropathologies and neurological disorders induced by HIV-1 infection. Clark Atlanta University, Atlanta, GA, USA, Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate Biology Seminar. Supported by the MARC/U*STAR Program (27 April 2001)
C. Services as Resource Person:
- International Practical Training Course and Symposium “Characterization and Management of Emerging Viral Diseases in the Developing World”, National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Faisalabad, Pakistan. Sponsored by: The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, (November 14-22, 2006)
- Interactive Thematic Workshop on “The Use of RNAi in Therapeutics” Organized by: The Committee on Science and Technology (COMSTECH), Islamabad, Pakistan, (November 25 – December 8, 2006)
- International Workshop on “Techniques Related to Molecular Biology and Immunology” Organized by: The Department of Biochemistry, University of Arid Agriculture Rawalpindi, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, (December 18 – 23, 2006)
- Interactive Thematic Workshop on “Current Advances in Gene Therapy” Organized by: The Committee on Science and Technology (COMSTECH), Islamabad, Pakistan, (April 02 -10, 2007)
- Workshop on “Scientific Writing” organized by the Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Pakistan (http://www.iub.edu.pk/Notice_Agri_Workshop_8_4_09.html) (April 06 – 08, 2009)
- Red Palm Weevil, the Challenge, Organized by the Saudi Arabia Basic Industries Corporation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, (March 29 – 31, 2010)